Thursday, January 21, 2010

Ruffles - Thank you kindly



A Thank you card - with SHADING!!

This is a thank you card I made for my cousin Noralee. We stayed with her family during a recent visit to NY state and I wanted to send her a card.

This card is a big milestone for me. It is my first card that includes shading. That doesn't sound scary but it's been a hard concept for me to incorporate into my card making. I think I just wasn't confident and was nervous to try it. I also only recently got the right color combination of markers. I read that it is wise to get 3 markers of similar colors - one light, one medium and one dark. Now that I have three browns, I was able to shade my thankful doggie! The photo is not great, but you can probably see the shading the best on the dogs ears and paw. I picked a light source to be in the upper left corner so the darker colors then went on the right. I also shaded the ducklings, but I only had two yellows so it's more subtle.

I'm so happy I mastered a new technique! I generally do 'the same old - same old' so it's fun to branch out. Hopefully I'll get more confident (and better) at it as time goes on.

The stamp is a stampavie clear called Ruffles Birdwatching by Helz Cuppleditch.
The paper is whisper white with a mat layer of soft suede and another mat of crushed curry.
The ribbon is crushed curry (polka dot - turned upside down so the dots don't show.) The ribbon holder is from hodge podge hardware (retired set.) The markers were a mix of copic sketch and stampin writes. The sentiment comes from the Thank you kindly set from stampin up.

Thanks for looking and I always LOVE comments!

1 comment:

  1. Aha! Finally here! (I'm sorry I used someone else's card as a photo, but I can't seem to download any of my own photos...)

    I like your comment about using 3 markers in the same color family. And as always, I love seeing your cards!

    ReplyDelete