Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Learning to use Copic Markers

This past weekend I went to a great class on how to use copic markers. I started using these markers this fall when I began to do more line art image stamping with stamps like Stampavie and Amuse. I was finding the stampin up markers just weren't doing a great job for larger images that needed coloring. I also noticed people doing shading and, stamping up markers don't come in multiple shades of a color, so I started stocking up on copic markers and did the best I could. The markers themselves are great. The sketch markers have a nice tip that feels like watercoloring. The color is rich and I fell in love. The only problem was, I wasn't very good at using them! Part of my problem was my paper. I read on websites that you need a good paper, and I tried several but none were really just right. At the class they told me about some papers - I just ordered some really heavy card stock (120 pound) from papertrey. That was the only downside of the class. I heard about a lot of great products that I currently don't own! The store that sponsored the class had some cute things so I got some new ink (Momento) and anew stamp (birthday girl.) When I went to the website for papertrey, I got paper and more. They have a great selection of stuff. I got a new stamp set (owls), some patterned paper, my white paper and glassine envelopes. And, more copic markers! Yikes - I am not being very good about my stamping budget this month! Anyway, back to my class. I really enjoyed it. our teacher Liz was very organized and encouraging. She had several projects for us to do with different blending and shading techniques. I'm not an expert, but I'm a lot more confident. Check out the projects we did. If you live in Boston area, I highly recommend a copic marker class. They offer them at Abielle (Brookline) and Ink about it (Westford.) Check out ILIKEMARKERS.com for other copic marker videos and teachers in other areas. As for papertrey - check it out. http://www.papertreyink.com/ They have a great gallery of beautiful cards. My teachers stuff can be viewed on her blog www.craftylizzie.com. Check back later this week. I'll post some of my own designs using the new blending and shading techniques with my new birthday girl stamp!

1 comment:

  1. Interesting! Now you've got me thinking I need to learn how to shade with markers, too, although I don't want to find more stuff I might "need"!

    ReplyDelete